Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Cat in the Hat



The Cat In The Hat . . . a book I used to read to my boys when they were little. We loved the rhyming, silly words and imaginative characters & illustrations of all the Dr. Seuss books and these were some of the first books they learned to read on their own. Canon 40D, 17-85mm lens, AV mode, AWB, AV 5.6, SS 1/60 and on camera flash. Adjusted levels a bit and added a soft light layer in PShop. I need to stop using the on camera flash and get out my new electronic flash and learn how to use it. I think these are a little dark.


A few of you asked how I made the little gumdrop people in yesterdays post. I used a couple of sizes of gumdrops, asst colors of licorice twists for hair etc, and sprinkles for the features. A plastic knife works great to cut the gumdrops, then mold into shape and use the sticky inside as glue to connect all the parts. Use a toothpick to attach the eyes, nose and mouth and insert a wire hanger. I even made a garland by stringing lots of gumdrops onto nylon thread.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Outstanding take on the theme!!! Love it.
Cari

cherie said...

very creative photos for this weeks theme !

Yvonne said...

Very creative for the theme! Love the perspective of the first shot!

Angela2932 said...

Thanks for the gum drop directions. They're adorable! Nice version of "hat!"

Kristi said...

I have so many great memories of my grandmother reading that book to me when I was younger. She's gone now, but the book holds such a special place in my heart. Thank you for the nostalgic smile!

--sme said...

What a clever interpretation of the theme! Nice color on the shots, too!

Mom2Drew said...

Ok, want to know something cool? I was totally thinking of this book for the theme this week and almost took a pic of it. Great minds must think alike;)

Katie said...

I love your take on the theme....and these pics are great...I love the dof...

Anonymous said...

Very creative! Love it!

Heather Taylor Photography said...

I really love that book, too!! Great shots and DOF!

pat said...

very clever!!

Anonymous said...

Great minds do think alike. I so was thinking of getting a shot of my daughter reading this. Cool.

Kristen said...

Hmm, how very creative! The color is great, and they look so nice and crisp.
And thanks for the gumdrop people instructions!

Danielle said...

Nice I'm loving the out of the box pics.

Deb said...

Love it!! Love the angle of the first one.

me said...

PERECT! Way to think outside of the box! I would never have thought of that. I only think of the obvious~

Val said...

Cool photos and thanks for the gumdrop people tips. they were so cool!

Tomboymama said...

Nice photos. I love books and would have never thought of this. Somehow I missed your blog yesterday... the gumdrop people are so adorable and the pictures of them are awesome. Just a beautiful blog all around.

Mandy said...

WOW...I love your take on the theme! So wonderful.

Unknown said...

AH I love it. I love the DOF in the first one best I think. Very fun. Great color!

flute4peace said...

Neat interpretation on the theme! Love the angle in the first one.

Tori said...

I love Dr. Suess! Great shots!

And wow... those little gumdrop people sound very time-consuming to make! Very intricate.

Margaret said...

Love your take on the theme!

Becky said...

Love the take on the theme...love the books. They don't look dark to me.

Jessica said...

Still one of my son's favorites! Great colors and focus in your photos too!!

bvb said...

Very creative. My now 21 year old LOVED Green Eggs and Ham. Brings back memories.

Ginnie said...

great take on the theme. those are some great shots!